March 02, 2008

A very small quilt



I finally added the binding to this absurdly small quilt. It's 23" x 32". I don't know who will ever use it, or for what. It is perhaps too neon to hang on a wall. It all started when my grandma and I scheduled a private sewing session with a quilter she really loves, Ginny Taylor. I spent the time sewing strips together, cutting them into gentle curves, and separating them with assorted yellows. Ginny and I traded some fabric and I went home with a handful of partially pieced strips, which I finished sewing up a couple months later.



The quilt was small, and I figured I could add some borders to make it a baby quilt. But I got so frustrated when I didn't like any borders I came up with and finally in a fit of "just finish it already!" I quilted the darn thing. So now it's bound and done. A pretty piece of useless quilt!



I do really like the backing (from the remnant rack) and the random horizontal lines quilting went so quickly.

10 comments:

Lynda said...

Thia quilt is lovely. Personally I prefer the front, and the binding is a masterdtroke! Every quilt can be improved by the use of lime green!

QuiltedSimple said...

I love the colors - so bright and cheerful. I think it'd make a great wall hanging.

Kris

Anonymous said...

The colors remind me of a sunset.

Christina said...

Thanks for the encouragement, all! Lynda, I'm so happy to know that lime green has another dedicated fan rooting for it!

Kristin Shields said...

Lovely! It's a great wall hanging, but would also be a great doll quilt. I like the gentle curves with the stacked strips. I've been doing gentle curves lately with mostly whole strips. However, I've got a bunch of stacked strips that I've been thinking about doing a chinese coins quilt with. I like this idea, so will probably combine it all!

Brenda said...

Hang it in your sewing space to inspire you, or put a label on it and keep it for a future gift. Either way, its a great quilt.

Tonya Ricucci said...

It's marvelous and not too neon at all. Hang it on a wall and enjoy it! You did a great job.

qusic said...

not useless , a use will come soon, a doll quilt, wallie for dark corners.... I love lime green it sparks interest. I have a half yard of this backing in my stash and could not cut it, backing is a great idea.

Eliezer said...

I'm sure a little girl will come along who can use a doll quilt...make a little matching pillow and you've got a great little b-day present. :) -Shannon

gracie said...

Just logged in and wanted to say that I love the tiny quilt. It reminds me of the Gee's Bend quilts that were featured on postage stamps a few years back! I'm sure by now you've found the right place for it, and now you've given me a gentle nudge to move forward and be a bit less "formulated" with my work!
Thanks so much! gracie

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments, thank you for coming by!