June 20, 2010

Crumb control

Have you heard of crumb piecing? Taking those teeny little pieces of fabric you just can't throw away and piecing them together at random to create blocks? The quilt above has crumb pieced blocks. I like it well enough, probably because of the limited palette of colors. Sometimes when scraps from far and wide are included, crumb blocks can get downright wild, a bit much for me and my style of quilting.

 Here is what I am working on; sewing together crumbs grouped by color. They have all the fun of improvisational piecing but a little more controlled. I'm excited to see what these become.I am considering bordering them with yellow, or as the centers of sawtooth stars or churn dash blocks.

3 comments:

Joyce said...

I love those crumb quilts. I've done lots of them but the wilder uncontrolled kind. Do you find that your scrap box is just as full after you make one as before? How can that be?

Megan said...

I love this and have a big pile o scraps that are begging to be turned into crumb-y blocks!

Suzanne said...

That's a fun concept! I am collecting and storing these kinds of ideas. CrazyMomQuilt's ticker tape works well for this too.

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments, thank you for coming by!