August 12, 2010

A hemp seed cookie recipe


My parents are staying with us this week and when my stepdad found out I was making hemp seed cookies, many many jokes ensued.
me: "You want a cookie?"
him: "No thanks, I'm driving"
That kind of stuff. If you're looking for a similar form of hilarity round abouts your kitchen, have at these (totally legal and non-inebriating) cookies.



They're so healthy you can barely even call them a cookie. But they're always gone in two days so...it's a cookie. It's a recipe I came up with. Completely from scratch. An utter first in the baking department, only possible due to great motivation: the amazing hemp seed cookies at Laughing Planet Cafe here in Portland. We would go broke if we bought one everytime we wanted one so I came up with my own recipe. It's not quite perfect, and not really being a baker I have no idea what the difference is, but it's close enough and way closer than any other recipe I've found online. Having made it now for about the twentieth time, the recipe is cleared for sharing.


You will need some specialty products unless you are already a full fledged weirdo health nut like me. Bob's Red Mill can supply both of them: hulled hemp seeds and ground flax seeds. Keep them in the fridge. If you like cooking vegan, a quick substitution for the butter and chocolate chips will have you covered. Bonus for dough eaters - no eggs!



Christina's Hemp Seed Cookies
2 Tbsp butter, melted
1/4 cup applesauce (a little single serving applesauce cup happens to be 1/4 cup!)
1/2 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup hulled hemp seed
1/2 cup ground flax meal
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 handful each chopped hazelnuts and chocolate chips

 








Preheat oven to 350 and grease a cookie sheet. Mix butter, applesauce and brown sugar together in a small bowl. Mix all remaining dry ingredients (except nuts and chocolate chips) in a large bowl. Add wet ingredients to dry, mix with a spoon. Add chocolate chips and hazelnuts. Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls and flatten with the palm of your hand. Bake for 10-12 minutes, let cool on a cooling rack. Makes about 24 cookies depending on how much of the dough you eat.


Enjoy!

6 comments:

Theodora quilts said...

I love that you also have recipes I am a new follower and I am also in for the free motion quilt along I have plenty to get quilting I defenitly need quidence ,If you a min, check out my recipe for Biscotti on my blog you will like it.

P Gersch said...

Just tried these. Added golden raisins, used stevia instead of sugar, added cinnamon & nutmeg, and replaced the flour with 1/4 cup chia seed. SO FREAKING FANTASTIC!

Jennifer Willis said...

Thanks for creating and sharing this recipe. I'm also a fan of the Laughing Planet cookies, which inspired me to go hunting for a recipe in the first place. They turned out great!

Anonymous said...

Made these cookies yesterday after previously searching for recipes to use my hulled hemp seeds. As a bonus I was able to use my flax seed as well. These cookies are good! Next time I will double the recipe.

viento said...

I made these today but used 1/2 cup of honey w/ 1/4 tsp of molasses in lieu of the sugars. I also used coconut oil in place of the butter. They came out great and all four of my children loved them and they are tough customers. Thank you for the recipe, I'll be using it again.

Hana K said...

It seems to make it not too difficult, i will test at home after work.Thanks a lot for the recipe

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments, thank you for coming by!