February 28, 2012

The last modular cathedral: Groove block

This block is basically the last block rearranged. I'm naming it after the fabric line "Groove" because it's what inspired this shape. It's the end of the line for the Modular Cathedral project. I think I may have saved the best for last!


Ingredients:
four 5'' squares
eight 2 1/2'' squares
1 1/2'' strip for border (optional)

Fold all the small squares in half along the diagonal and press.


Use small dots of glue to hold them in opposite corners of the 5'' squares.


Construct the block. Press seams like your life depends on it.


Pin back the folds and topstitch.


Here's all the blocks I've made. Groove is my favorite I think, followed closely by the original. I could see making an entire quilt of either of those. I'll stitch these all together someday, though certainly not soon.

What a fun little experiment this was! I realized going back and checking my links that I never made a tutorial just for the basic block, or that flower one in the middle row, so I'll be back with those tutorials. Eventually.

21 comments:

Meghan said...

oh, wow, what a wonderful collection of colorful squares. Very impressive, I'm feeling inspired to 'level-up' in my quilt-making!

Rosa said...

Love your blocks.All are spectacular!!

Patti said...

This is looking fantastic!

Suzanne said...

Look at your cool sampler!

Michelle said...

Those are so pretty! Thanks for sharing these!

Paulette said...

That block is so-weeet! They all turned out nicely.

Jill said...

All of the blocks are fab Christina!

The Thompsons said...

love it- they look so great together!

QuiltNut Creations said...

So very very pretty!

Mama Pea said...

Really neat! I love what you are doing! All the blocks look great together!

Susan said...

Oh my! Look at all those pretty blocks! Are you going to make these into a quilt? I certainly hope so!

Hettie Pringle /Stitchingmatters said...

Lovely, thanks for sharing

Guilitta said...

Thank you very much for your Tutorial. I miss in the first row the first block and in the second row the first block, Can you post the Links to the blocks or send it to me? (Guilitta2000@t-online.de)

Greeting Guilitta
Blog: http://guilitta2000.blogspot.com/
><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><>

Marg said...

Wow! Beautiful.

Anne at Film and Thread said...

It has been so much fun watching these blocks. It is hard to choose a favorite among them. Thank you so much for showing how you made them.

Debbie said...

what fun little blocks! awesome.

Elsa said...

Love all the blocks together! It looks great!

Annessa B. said...

I'm not naturally a "modern" look fan, but those blocks are just gorgeous! You have a talent with color.

melissa q. at a happy stitch said...

OH MY!! These are amazing. I love how the solids look.

Bente-I like to QuiltBlog said...

Hi Christine,
these are really beauties! I´ll try some or alle of them some day.
Liebe Grüße
Bente - Germany

designcamppdx said...

SupercaliFABuliscous!

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments, thank you for coming by!