July 09, 2014

Double Disappearing Nine-Patch Improved Tutorial

When I started with Double Disappearing 9 Patch (DD9P) I gave an explanation of what I did but not a real tutorial. I would like to correct that today because I know how nice it is when you're in a bee and you can just link your bee-mates to a tutorial.


To make a double disappearing 9 patch block with this layout you will need:


9 small squares: 5 colors, 4 background
5 big squares: 1 color, 4 background

The size of the squares to cut for a 10" finished block (shown) are:

small squares: 3"
big squares: 4"

Steps:

Make a nine patch block as shown. Whatever color is in the middle will end up in all four of the final block-units. It doesn't matter where you put the others, they will be cut apart from each other in the next step.


Cut the block down the middle in both directions


Spread the blocks out, keeping their orientation to the center


Use the larger squares to make a new nine patch block


Cut that block down the middle in both directions


Rearrange and sew together



Notes: If you can double the disappearing nine-patch you could triple or even quadruple it! Readers of my blog have done just that. Way to go innovators! You are the reason I love having a blog.

In case you want to start with different sizes for your beginning patches, I figured out the formula for other sizes of DD9P

size of the small blocks = x
size of the large blocks = y
size of finished final block = z

y = 1.5x - 1/2"
z = 3y - 2"

The downside of this block is that all the halving and halving again gives you painful 1/4" and 1/8" cutting problems and weird finished block sizes for pretty much everything except this 10" finished size. That doesn't matter if you just like sewing and cutting and resewing but if you are super into precision or writing patterns for other people you'll get frustrated.

People regularly ask me if I can make the DD9P a 12" finished block and the answer, sadly, is no, I can't. No one can, because the math of cutting a three-unit thing into a two-unit thing won't allow it if you can't cut in thirds and sixths of an inch, and since we don't have tools for that in quilting it's not going to happen.  However, if you really really needed a 12" finished block you would start with 3.5" blocks in the first nine patch, and 4.75" blocks in the second nine patch.  After you've sewn the final block together it will be 12 3/4" unfinished. You could trim it to 12 1/2" (or just leave it close enough!). I hope that helps.



I love seeing what you make with my tutorials, please link or email if you get a chance!


30 comments:

Livin' Blue Quilter said...

I love this tutorial. Thanks for sharing.

Scrapatches said...

Great idea! Thanks for sharing ... :) Pat

Anonymous said...

Great tutorial. Very easy to understand.
I love seeing orange and blue together.

Katie said...

great idea and it looks great.

Kara said...

Brilliant! Thank you.

Grit said...

It is cool. Thank you.

Gene Black said...

That is pretty cool, Christina. Weren't you clever to work out the math and put it here for our convenience!

Elsa said...

Really great block and the tutorial took the mystery out of this block for me! Thanks for the tutorial ~

Unknown said...

I really love this idea. This is a HUGE improvement on the idea if you ask me!

Lara B. said...

Great Looking block and a wonderfully clear tutorial! The fog on this one has cleared, thanks to you Christina!

Sharon said...

I use the disappearing nine patch for my baby quilts. Thanks for the tutorial reminder.

Georgia Browne said...

Love this tutorial and wonderful for a baby quilt. It looks so difficult but is so easy to do. Thanks.

Ruth Anne said...

This is such a clever idea. It looks so complicated, but isn't. Thank you for sharing.

Phoenix resident now said...

I will surely make this one. LOVE it.

Britt-Inger said...

Thanks for a lovely tutorial. I love it and a good scrap eater.

Clint/Wendy said...

My mother-in-law has been looking for a pattern to use with the Taxi cab prints. She was wondering around one of the Q-stores up here and found your pattern and she loved the look and will be making it soon.
Thank you for a fabulous blog and resource- Grateful!

Hannele said...

Thank you vor this tutorial, I certainly will try this!

Nanna Ray said...

This technique I HAVE to try! Love the effect achieved. Thank you for sharing.

Quilteuse Forever said...

Great tutorial!
On Wednesday I will put a link to this great tuto on my blog.
Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

So I am terrible at math but would really like to make this block in a miniature version. Like 1/4 the size. I came out with small blocks at .75" and the large blocks 1 inch but that doesn't seem at all right. Anyone? Thanks in advance!

Mavis said...

I've done that, but I started with eight 6" charm squares (no two alike in the whole quilt) with a yellow center block. When I spread those cut blocks out, I used a darker yellow for the new center and white for the four side blocks. My large blocks ended up being 23 inches square. It doesn't take many blocks to make a quilt from that.

Northlady said...

Thank you for the tutorial and for this great quilt block pattern. I love disappearing 9-patch quilts and this is one that's new for me.

Stitching Lady said...

It is so good that I found your perfect tutorial - thanks very much*

Unknown said...

If you want to try making a "12 inch" block this will get you close with tools we use. You will have to eyeball half way between the appropriate 1/8 marks
small square = 3 7/16 (half way between 3/8 and 1/2)
lg square = 4 11/16 (half way between 5/8 and 3/4)
Block = 11 31/32 (1/32 short of 12 inches)

ecarp said...



thanks for the tutorial. Your double disappearing nine-patch is new to me and gives another dimension. Love it.

QuiltingPastMyBedtime... said...

I'm having a serious why didn't I think of this moment!!! Lovely, just lovely. I'm so trying this soon. Thank you.

Susan said...

Well, now, that's just fun! Thank you so much for working out the math on this. I happen to like both 9 and 10 inch blocks, so this works perfectly, and it's different from plain D9P!

VickiGene said...

Yesterday I made a practice block using 6” squares and adding 8.5” squares in next step. So pleased with results (24” block) I made 3 more, after adding a border, it will be an ample size throw or lap quilt, thank you! Will share with my guild tonight! ��

Brita said...

Thanks for posting this. I keep coming back because I keep forgetting the dimensions for making a 12" finished block. I don't mind having an extra quarter inch to trim off. It makes sure my blocks are even.

This is so beautifully and simply written. I really appreciate it.

Peacemeal said...

This is the best tutorial! Thanks for providing the equation as I want to make a dog quilt with bigger blocks to accommodate the dog print fabric. Thanks again.

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments, thank you for coming by!