November 18, 2014

FMQ weekly: pebble power


I recently made this little sample to show the power of pebbling. It's just a plain piece of fabric and the whole thing is quilted in pebbles. I marked a circle (by tracing around a bowl) in the center of the piece and quilted that in a bright contrasting thread. The rest was quilted in a thread that almost matched the background. I love when you can make a plain piece of fabric amazing with quilting.

In each section I occasionally did something fancy inside the pebbles: a spiral in the center section and an asterisk in the background. I think that's my favorite way to dress up pebbling, just adding an occasional fancy one.

If you need a little free-motion quilting time this week and don't have a project ready, try something like this! Ours is now a little pillow. I've made so many pillows and small quilts lately I might do a craft fair booth this season, I need to make some space in here!


12 comments:

What Comes Next? said...

very effective, and a great way to practice pebbles!

DianeY said...

Really nice! I like it!

Jen said...

I love this - great idea and awesome quilting!!

Charlotte Scott said...

Love the idea of the little details to jazz up the pebbles.

quiltfru said...

Simply amazing! I wish I could do that. I am a lap quilter.

bumblebee53 said...

That is fun, and I love the snappy little binding against the blue background.

Gene Black said...

I love the pebbles with the "extras" - especially the spirals. I may need to make some placemats this way - just because!

Lee Ann L. said...

That is awesome!

Elsa said...

WOW! That's a whole lot of quilting going on! Love those little spirals, bet it fells wonderful!

em's scrapbag said...

Love the added spirals and astrics.

Ann said...

What a wonderful pillow! And a great way to practice FMQ.

Sarah Craig said...

So pretty, Christina! You make me want to sit down and quilt!!

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments, thank you for coming by!