January 06, 2015

Step-by-Step Free-Motion Quilting: time for a peek!

Things are all of a sudden happening fast for this book. I had somehow convinced myself that it wouldn't be here till the end of the month, but no! Books are shipping out to stores soon, the Kindle version is up on Amazon, and I haven't hardly told you anything about the book!


This is the book I wanted when I started to get the hang of free-motion quilting. I was so hungry for new designs but the only quilting design books I could find at the library were for hand quilting or these kind of kitschy designs of fish and cowboys and other "things". I didn't want Christmas trees and cactus, I wanted geometry, pattern, texture! I wanted someone to show me what was possible.

This is also the book that some of you asked for. My friend Michelle suggested after the first book came out that I should show how to make my more complicated designs by breaking them down into steps. Yes! I love doing that!

But what really got me thinking about writing a quilting design book was hearing from quilters who thought they couldn't do free-motion quilting "because I can't draw".

You know what? You totally don't have to be able to draw to do free-motion quilting! Most FMQ designs are just simple shapes. This book is full of designs that are made with simple shapes: think circles, wavy lines, spirals, arcs. These simple shapes are ones that anyone can draw and when you combine them, wow! Great designs that you can make with a little practice.


You have a couple ways to get a peek: there's a preview of the book available on Amazon (just click on the book cover and you can view about 40 pages of the book). I also made a "book trailer" video, introducing the book and showing how to stitch one of the designs. I picked the design on the cover because I love it so. You can see it in my only-slightly-awkward 2 minute homemade book promo video here.



The inside of the book is exactly like I hoped. Casual and clean. Each design spread shows a full page of the design and the step-by-step instructions for making it. All told the book is 192 pages. Isn't that great? Very few quilting books are this substantial. C&T publishing deserves a kiss on both cheeks for giving this book the space it needed to show these fresh and friendly quilting designs in a way that anyone can learn them. Love them!

If you're the type that likes to order books from the author, or likes signed copies, I am acting like a real business-lady just for you. You can order a signed copy at the A Few Scraps Webstore. I even put these FMQ bumper stickers in the store because people keep telling me they want them. Oh, and Portlanders, we will have a little book launch party next month, so if you don't want to pay for shipping hang in there and we'll handle it local!


Thanks for letting me talk your ear off about my new book! I've got some stories about the process of writing it that I still want to share, but that's for another day. Happy stitching all!


30 comments:

What Comes Next? said...

How exciting! Another fabulous looking book. I'm off to place an order😃

Marlene said...

I pre ordered your book Christina and they tell me it is on the way. I can't wait!. Well Done.

Helen in the UK said...

I pre-ordered the book a while ago and am anxiously awaiting news of it's despatch and then it's arrival. I wondered why you hadn't been shouting about it for a while as it looks like it fills a void in the market :)

bumblebee53 said...

Woo Hoo Christina! Congratulations on your new book! I plan to buy it as soon as I start my work season again! I know it will be amazingly helpful as your first book is. Thanks for filling this need.

mac said...

Congratulations on your book publication.

Laikabear said...

Oh, the new book looks great! I love the design on the cover. :)

Brenda said...

Congratulations! I'm looking forward to it!

Elsa said...

So.Darned.Exciting! Can't wait to get mine ~ I'm waiting till I can get it in person and have you sign it!

Elsa said...

Oh, and a fab video too! You make it look so easy!

WesternWilson said...

I plan to take your Craftsy class too! What machine and foot are you using, Christina?

Gene Black said...

Excellent! You are doing a great job as an author. I am so proud for you.

Lara B. said...

Congratulations Christina! And thank you for creating such a wonderful book!

felicity said...

Woo hoo!! Congratulations, Christina!

Angie in SoCal said...

Congrats on the new book. I'm sure it will be fabulous. I'm thinking of getting the kindle version.

Marci Girl said...

I absolutely adored your first book, actually it is my favorite of all the current FMQing books out there! So obviously I am ecstatic about this one! Thank you!

Unknown said...

I preordered your new book ages ago and can't wait to get it! Thank you so much for all you do to share FMQ designs!!!

Sarah Craig said...

Christina, I'm so excited for you!! Your first book was awesome, and I can't wait t see this one - and recommend it to all my friends!!! Woohoo!!!

Sarah Craig said...

PS I love my FMQ sticker - I get so many comments on it! Either a knowing smile and nod, or a puzzled "What country is FMQ?" LOL!

JanetD said...

Can't wait to get this book! I love to FMQ but am often stumped by what design to do. And I absolutely love how you cut off 3 of the fingers of your quilting gloves!! I hate to have to take them off and on! Ingenious!! Thanks for sharing your talent with us!

Jackie said...

I purchased the ebook version today and just love it. It's so nice to see the designs broken down and I know I will be trying them out on my next quilt.

Anonymous said...

It looks like a great book. Congratulations.

Diane M said...

Congratulations! I am taking your class on Craftsy ... I definitely need a lot more practice. You make it look so easy!

Colleen said...

That's great! I'm halfway through your Craftsy class, and really enjoying it. This book looks like exactly what I need.

Nurdan Kulluk-Rennert said...

I was just digesting your first book and now you are telling me the second one has been published!! There will be lots of "hiding in the closet" to read this book! Congratulations!!!

Beth @ Cooking Up Quilts said...

Congratulations Christina! This is just the book I need. I'm currently taking your Craftsy class and I love how you break down the designs. I'm sure I'll love the book!

Dawn said...

Okay, I'd love to run out and buy your new book RIGHT NOW but I'm going to wait for the Portland launch party next month. That way I can congratulate you in person and get you to sign my copy!

Vicki said...

EEeeeekk!! Soo excited for you. CONGRATULATIONS!

Leah said...

Congratulations Christina! It looks like a gorgeous book and I loved your video promo. It's the perfect touch to let people know what to expect. Great job!

✾Jamie Lee Cooley✾ said...

The book looks great! Went ahead and preordered it on amazon! :)

Farm Quilter said...

I have been quilting for 6 years and I am always looking for new designs to quilt on my customers' quilts as well as my own. Love what I have seen of this book. I'll be looking for it in my LQS!! Congratulations on birthing such a fabulous book!!!

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments, thank you for coming by!